Emily Prosser: Pricey Over Cheap

Sunday 22 February 2015

Pricey Over Cheap

Sometimes we think the most expensive products are the best products. Its the same with food, the most expensive restaurant is always the better one right? However I don't think this is necessarily true.

I have tried many drugstore products along with high end products and most the time there is no difference with quality. I also think you are mainly paying for packaging and not the actual product itself. For example if you were buying a mascara worth £10 I'm pretty sure most of that is based on how pretty the packaging looks and not for the quality of the mascara itself. Its the same with branding, sometimes big brands live up to their names however sadly this is only a select few and many brands are just pricey because they feel like they are probably the best and want you to buy their products because they are pricey and well known.

I'm going to give you a few beauty categories and give my opinion on whether I think high end products are the way to go or drugstore. You don't have to follow this guide word for word as this is just my opinion and how products have worked for me.

Skincare:
Over the years I have tried a million skincare products to sort out my skin which was a massive waste of money and time as my skin has only gotten better with age. I have tried Origins right down to the Simple brands and to be honest with skincare it can go either way. When I was younger and I was really spot prone I used Origins and it worked really well and calmed my skin down and gave me a better appearance. However Origins is a really pricey brand and like I said my skin did get better with age so once I used up all of my Origins products I moved onto the Simple range. Simple is very affordable and works just as well as keeping my skin looking refreshed as well as Origins. I also think keeping your skin in top condition comes from within so make sure to drink plenty of water as well and consume a balanced diet. Its really down to you on skincare as you can go either way, if you don't look after yourself from within your not going to look well looked after on the outside. If this is the case then you may be looking into buying a product that will revive your skin and I think any product for drugstore to high end is good as long as you don't look at unknown brand names as they can be very misleading most of the time.

Foundation:
For me foundation is very important as it hides any imperfections I have on a day to day basis, so I never go without it. This is an easy one for me as I say as long as you get the type of foundation you are looking for, for example brightening or matte, then you need to look no further. Drugstore foundations are all very good and affordable and they all do the same as high end foundations. I have tried the MAC Mineral Foundation before and at first I thought it was amazing until I had used i for a couple of weeks and discovered that it didn't last very long on my face and became very shiny towards the end of the day. I looked like I had ran a marathon! Although high end foundations last forever, and I'm talking a good four months they are sometimes not worth it as you can get a similar type of foundation that many last a little less than the high end but will cost half the amount. Even with tonnes of powder over the mineral foundation it just would not last me till the evening so definitely try out some drugstore foundations and find the type of foundation that will improve your complexion the way you want it to.

Mascara:
Again mascara is very easy for me as I don't really know what else a mascara can do other than lengthen your lashes and define them. I have tried so many branded mascaras and I have simply opted for a more affordable mascara from The Natural Collection as I cannot find anything different with the high end mascaras from the drugstore mascaras. The mascara I currently use is £1.99 and last me two to three months so for me it is a bargain and it works a treat. I don't see the point in using high end mascaras as they basically do the same thing as other mascaras and I feel that you are just paying for packaging so I would go for drugstore here.

Haircare/Styling Products:
For hair I would always go high end. I feel as though drugstore products don't have that much effect when used. I usually test hair products for about two weeks and I have never felt or noticed a difference in my hair in drugstore products/brands. However when I purchase products from my hairdressers I always notice a difference after the third day or so and I find that the high end products usually last so much longer as I'm not using as much product to force a result that isn't going to happen. The brand I believe to be the best for your hair is the Keratase brand. It gives my results after the first usage and isn't going to break the bank either! I can honestly say that these products are amazing and would recommend them to anyone.

Nail Polish:
Lastly I feel that nail polish is just nail polish and that it does its job whether it is high end or drugstore polish. Sometimes you can get the odd brand that has a very watery line and just doesn't give great results, but brands like Barry M are always good quality and value for money. I tend not to buy high end polishes as for £2.99 I cant really complain for the quality I am receiving! To conclude I think that drugstore polishes are always good value for money if you pick the right brands.

Hopefully this has given a few people some ideas on whether they should try different drugstore products or probably try some other brands that they would usually try. Remember packaging is sometimes the money maker and that you shouldn't be tempted into high end products when there are other brands out there that do the same or even a better job for half the price.

Give me a follow and check out my other posts!

Thank you
x



























   

No comments :

Post a Comment